Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Not okay.


*to be noted: i'm quite hormonal today, so my lenses aren't exactly rose colored.

The only high light of my entire world today, is that I hit a new low on the scale, officially having lost a total of 12 pounds since arriving here. That's just really awesome, thank you Jesus so much!

Onto other news.

I'm not okay. Hot husband leaves tomorrow for a 4 days- he's back Saturday- of fun in the sun in South Africa. Wined and dined, 4-5 star hotels, 4-5 star restaurants, company team building up the wazoo. It's the African office company retreat. He leaves at 5am, and comes home at 5am- an all night flight on Saturday. 

I'm fine with him going- it's a short trip.

This why I'm not fine right now. It started yesterday... A really really cool family we met the first week we were here... Mandi, Eddie, 2 gorgeous little girls (2 and 4 years)- Jasmine, and Jada... He a Kenyan, her an Aussie. He died yesterday in a plane crash at Wilson Airport. He was a pilot. I can't imagine the heart ache that they're going through right now. Everyone at the British High Commission play group found out. The group of women I've gotten to know are all very close to this family. 

I don't want Hot Husband to go anywhere. Life feels really fleeting, very precious right now.  That's how it always feels when we have mortality thrown in our faces. 

Add onto that, Cute Child is sick. He woke up with a fever yesterday, and though it ebbed throughout the day, last night it spiked higher then ever before (103) and wouldn't go down. Bring out the cold washcloths, the medicine, the scrambling to find numbers of doctors. Add into it all, this morning when he awoke, I found him covered head to toe in a horrific looking rash. It doesn't itch, so at least he doesn't seem bothered by it, but it's enough to make a mommy cry at the site of it. It's awful looking. I spent all morning calling and texting everyone I had ever had a conversation about pediatricians with to ask for the numbers, names and locations of the doctors. When no one got back to me- and I mean no one- and I spoke with Miriam who urged me to go straight to Nairobi Hospital ER, I tried to get ahold of Hot Husband, and for 3 hours could not. It was a horrific moment for my emotional stability. 

Long and short is I finally heard from one woman, Marti who is starting up a branch of 10,000 Villages in DR Congo, and is super kick butt awesome woman. She sent me 2 doctors names, and 2 hospitals. I chose one, called and made an appointment with Dr Anupt Patel. 

Cute Child apparently is allergic to either the Nurofen (ibuprofen) or the Nutella that he ate at Miriams house the night before. Whatever the case- no more of it will enter a radius of 2 feet of him! He also has a horrible sore throat, and the fever is due to him fighting a virus of some sort. Dr Patel gave me all this natural stuff to do. A concoction of honey, ginger, water, and turmeric for this throat, and echinacea drops 3 times a day..

I'm just overwhelmed at this moment, so yucky! I don't like the idea of Hot husband leaving, and me trying to figure everything out alone. Because all my friends have children, I can't ask for their help or swing by- I can't infect their kids. And I want to live near my family!!!! Sometimes it just hits ya real hard up side the head- nobody can help out like family can. Truth!

So if you think of us in the next few days, please pray that I don't lose it and start crying uncontrollably, and that Cute child's rash disappears overnight, his fever totally breaking and disappearing to the four corners of the earth.

And that Hot Husband is surrounded by traveling mercies every second of his absence.


1 comment:

  1. So what is your code name? I will have to ponder that one and maybe give you some ideas.

    I am so sorry dear friend that life feels yucky this week. Hormones really, really suck! I really wish I could hop on a plane and come listen to the rain with you and hunt down the bullfrogs!

    You are marvelous! Hot husband and cute child are marvelous too!! And loosing 12 pounds is marvelous! I will pray for an extra measure of God's presence and peace this week. Love you so, so much!

    ReplyDelete