Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Some of the little things..



The above are 2 interesting items in the local Nakumatt (Kenya's version of WalMart). Along with hair mayonnaise, they also had Hair Cholesterol. ? . And as far as this green veggie, or is it a fruit, is concerned. . .I have NO IDEA what it is!

We are in Blackrose Apartments- Nairobi, Kenya. A stones throw away from Ya Ya Center, and if you want more of a visual of that, I'll work on pictures. The apartments themselves are about 20 years old, but have been kept up very nice, and the trees and bushes are mature. The swimming pool is lovely, and everything is quite clean. I have no complaints! There are minor things that are annoying- it would cost us for a family of 3, one of us which is only a year old, to have our clothes laundered- around 75 USD a week- and that's wearing things twice! They want to charge almost 2USD to wash a pair of Cute Child's socks.  Needless to say I am taking up hand washing, and have responded quickly to a friends offer that we could use her washing machine. Also, today our cleaner (yes, I have a cleaner, his name is David, he wears a cleaner outfit too, it's fun!) said he could do our handwashing, and ironing for 500sh a week, I said how about our items that I give you and ironing some shirts, for 250sh? He agreed. All is well.

75sh=1USD. 

The power is out Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, from 10am-12. and again from 2pm-6. It's a pain in the butt. I never thought I would be praying so much for rain. I know that when it comes, things won't get so dirty, the dust will settle, the grass will grow, and the rivers will flow again- which means we will get continuous power. Well, as long as where we are has a backup generator! I don't know if continuous power exists anywhere in Africa as we know it!


3 comments:

  1. i think i would take the green thing over the hair mayonnaise... :) love you and praying for you at the dentist today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw, so glad you sent me this link. i read all your entries in one sitting. love love love you. i will be praying for your transition. juli, my friend i have mentioned to you (was in my wedding as well) is in a village not far from nairobi and goes into the city a couple times a month. i need to get you gals hooked up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh....I could use me a good cleaner. Maybe I should hire Dave since he is still around - kind of. hehehe THinking of you everyday. Love you much!

    ReplyDelete