Monday, October 5, 2009

The latest

(fyi- all pictures posted are ours, unless otherwise stated, and i must say though that this one is from Avalon, NJ, nowhere near Nairobi! haha!)


It's funny, for months I tried to read everything I could get my hands on about relocating, being an expat, moving to Nairobi- everything! I found it hard to find information, and the things I did find, rarely gave me the information that I needed. "Were diapers priced exorbantly high in Kenya- and should I switch to cloth before coming?" (answer: no, they're about the same, maybe slightly higher- it's WIPES that not only are about triple the price- but are awful quality)

In the last 2 days, I've spent only about 30 minutes on the internet, and both times I found highly informative forums, and even a blog that answer so many of our questions. It amazes me.

We found a place we really really like. However, we were awaiting to hear the price of it, since we don't want to go above 65,000sh, for a 2-3 bedroom. It's not too far from Hot Husband's job, and is a stones throw away from a large Nakumatt for shopping. (Nakumatt=Kenya version of Walmart, get it- Matt, Mart?) Plus at that particular Nakumatt, there is also a tiny shop right outside that has wonderful flowers for sale at a good price, and a place that sells (expensive) delicious hummus.  We heard this morning that the owner wants to rent it for 80,000sh.. Quite a bit more then it's worth. What's happened is, in the last month 4 of the open apartments (they're quite new) have been snatched up by the UN- and the UN pays exorbant prices for everything. In fact, in the words of our Kenyan realtor, "UN is free money". For us the price would be 80,000, for the UN, it would be 120,000. RIDICULOUS! 

I still feel incredibly overwhelmed at what to cook. We went over to a house in Runda (the Beverly Hills of Nairobi- a pretty far drive from city center, and where all the rich expats live) for a late lunch yesterday after church. A Dutch couple who've been here for about 2 years. She is a tropical medicine doctor, and he's an economist. A really nice couple, super great. I thought maybe I could get ideas with what she cooked- and everything she made was wonderful. I do think that we will have salad's more often, with different vegetables or fruits in them. And we'll have to buy a grill of some sort. But outside of that, I didn't really get much for ideas. Unless we want to spend hundreds and hundreds on groceries every month, I really need to learn how to make a lot more things from scratch! 

Everyone that you meet wants to know what you are going to do here. What am I going to do Lord? Right now, I just want to make sure this is where He wants us! It's quite an awkward conversation, and I find myself continually at a loss. There are ongoing random frustrations with Hot Husbands job. And while we don't want to bad mouth the company in any way, or sound like we are whining... It is often the best to explain different goings on with the company, to explain our hesitancy, and my uncertainty with where we are at. We're currently working on the working visa, which has hit some random frustrating loopholes, and Hot Husband has to confront his boss today with the fact that last Friday I was denied coverage for my "pre-existing condition" (PCOS) which we told said boss, was a huge concern of ours in relocating, and were assured it would all be fine.  

I still feel lost in many ways. Though I am not depressed, or necessarily even frustrated. There is a certain grace on me for all of this right now. I think this is in part, I have lost 7 pounds since being here. I also may have had a normal-7 day period. We'll see, it must stop by Tuesday- but so far, all signs point to Metformin KICKING PCOS ARSE! :) Another 10 pounds to go and I can't complain, however it would be magnificent to be the weight I was when I got married. As you can see, I lost a little, and now I'm dreaming of a lot! Lol...

I will walk around with Cute Child and take pictures of Blackrose, and the amazing trees that are blooming.

Oh- one more thing, we got a rain here! On Saturday it poured. We were in the Junction (where one of the Nakumatt's are- like a small strip mall with a food court), eating at Saffron (Indian) when suddenly the roar of African rain on a tin roof was deafening. I have to say, that's one of my favorite sounds. I took Cute Child over to the open floor to ceiling windows, and we stared in wonder at how the sky had opened and what looked like the ocean, was coming out. Rains here are like that- they just completely encompass you. Cute Child leaned forward as far as I would allow him towards the open window (floor to ceiling open window, second floor, and if we had fallen, we would fall into like 6 rows of electric fencing, eat your heart out US Gov't code standards!) and would take his little hands, and grab at the rain and wind coming through, rubbing his hands all over his face... like he was eating the beauty of it. It was so sweet.

Today it is dry again and sunny. Maybe tomorrow more rain?




1 comment:

  1. amazing! i want to go visit kenya so badly! i know you will find your nitch there for the time you guys are there. so happy to hear that your body seems to be adjusting nicely. love you!

    ReplyDelete