Monday, October 19, 2009

Expat Mommy Club


We went to the Karen Vineyard (Karen is a suburb of Nairobi, and where a lot of white people live) a little over a week ago. While there we went to the visitors table, and check out what home groups were available in our area. There were 3. And all 3 leaders were standing around talking, when they heard that we were interested- all of them argued amongst each other on who could have us.

This felt so good. We have visited LOADS of churches in the past 3 years. And I mean, loads. Like at least 15.  If not 20. To be fought over is a very rare thing, it's usually the feeling that no one really wants you or complete indifference. But this is one reason why we keep coming back to Vineyards all around the world. They seem to share one thing in common, no matter where they are- community. Quite frankly, church is not church without community, and it's incredibly surprising how many churches continue to survive without it. Anyways. 

We decided to go to the newest one, which also happened to be the closest. And then the woman their who had won us, kept saying over and over, (Fiona) that I must meet this woman, Miriam, that she knew all of the mom and tot groups, and play things, and on and on and on... and then invited us over for Tea and Swiss Chocolates that afternoon- where I would meet Miriam.

Meeting Miriam has changed my life here. I kid you not. She's sweet, unassuming, not pretentious, and in we're a bit- in her words- "kindred friends". We have so much in common- though we're so entirely different. She has 2 daughters, one who is 2 and the other who is 6 months. She's a Kiwi. (which I love Kiwi's- have yet to meet a single person from New Zealand that I have not taken to immediately!) and her husband travels 25% of the time- to crazy places like Afghanistan, and DRCongo for his job. She invited me to play group the next day, and the long and short of it is that I have not really been home much since meeting her! Her and her 2 other friends, Rachel and Wendy (England, and Australia) hang out several times a week, and it appears that I have been graciously, lovingly, and happily been adopted into this group of women. Rachel has a wee baby girl who is 4 months, and Wendy has 3 kids, but the best is her son- who is the same exact age as Cute Child- only 6 days older, weighs the same, is the same height. Cute Child just has bigger feet and hands. Anyways, Cute Child LOVES LOVES her son, and they really seem to get on great and play together really well. 

Last year I wanted so badly to find women that I could be with often and that would understand life's journey and what it was like to have husbands who work so ferociously, and I have to say, there is just something special about what I've found here. Rachel said last night in the car (we had just had an indoor barbeque at Miriams- we were rained out) that "Expat friends are different then friends at home. They're like family. "  And she's right, that's how it feels. We have each others numbers, and if any of our husbands are out of country, and we have an emergency, day or night, we can ring each other, and everyone will be there for that person. We share information, deals, dream of items we can't get in Africa, and talk about what we can get our husbands to nab for us on their next trips. Wendy's husband just came back from England with a whole suitcase of cheese. You know why we went to her house today! hahaaa! We don't seem to run out of things to talk about. Yet. I keep thinking we will, but we haven't.

I need to write about the dramas going on with the Nannies, and the Expat Mom's... and then our small group. But I'll save that for another date. For now, suffice it all to say, I am learning a lot, and I feel incredibly blessed to be adopted by this group of women. They are fun, and brave, strong and beautiful. I know I can learn a lot from their life experiences- Wendy and Miriam have lived in very dangerous difficult situations for the last 3+ years.. A lifetime when we're talking 3rd world with babies!

Hot Husband is in Ghana, working with Cocoa/Chocolate people. I miss him badly, but it's a short trip, and he'll be home soon! Yay!

For the first time today, I felt really happy here. For the first time today, I could imagine being here for a year or more.  This is really good!

3 comments:

  1. SO SO SO glad to hear it! As my old aunt Miss Maryann would say (she was dad's neighbor in New Orleans when he was kid) "Ah Am SEW glaaahd fer yeew! Saweeeetie!" And then my mom has to leave the room in giggles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay hooray! Women who get you! I hope this life of yours that is changed just keeps on changing! Please, write a book about your expat women and their nannies and their and mothers and all your husbands and women signing in swahili-the new "Under the Tuscan Sun"-it will sell millions!

    I send kisses to Ghana!

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a great post! am happy for you!

    ReplyDelete