Sunday, October 25, 2009

Thoughts on a Sunday night...

Today we bought a really really large cool looking basket from some dudes on the side of the road. It's made out of alfalfa. How do I know? Because I'm sitting next to it right now typing, and I'm allergic to alfalfa, and I can feel my throat and nose getting all ucky. But I still love my basket. Did I mention it is really cool? :)

We went to church, Karen Vineyard, and I just really like Vineyards. So far- I can't vouch for em all folks! They spoke on finances and tithing. Three things I liked:

1. I liked that 30% of their budget goes to help the poor. That's a lot.
2. I liked that they did a brief, but very thorough public showing of what they spend money on. Total transparency is important to me because of all the abuse I've seen in religious organizations with finances.
3. I liked that it wasn't said that you MUST give 10 percent as a tithe, but focused on the heart of being generous, and giving. I liked that they listed the 10% tithing as an Old Testament law. From the pulpit.
4. okay one more: I liked that they didn't end with doing another offering, just to make everyone give more money. Because that's something that seems to happen at other places I've been, and it seems a leetle bit like manipulation!

We went to a place that we really liked here to speak with the landlord, and tomorrow we will get a copy of the lease to go over. We're praying that it's all really plain language, and no stupid hang ups, or slippery manipulations in it. We ended up agreeing that we would pay 3 months rent up front, plus a 2 month deposit. And that was after negotiations! Still- that is 5 months rent, immediately. *sigh. On the other hand, the place is really nice, in a very good area, safe, clean, right down the street from Miriam, and has a really pretty swimming pool and lounge area. It's quiet, and full of flowers. I'm praying that the lease and everything goes through. In the meantime, I'm pricing out cookers (stoves), cold boxes (refrigerators), washing machines, dining tables, etc. We have hardly anything here, and I would like to get things before we move in... Which would be November 20th.

In other news:
I miss American accents.
I miss my sister and family badly.
I miss my furniture.
I miss the smell of clean in America.
I miss my clothes smelling like Downy.
I miss chicken pot pie, and corn chips with salsa.
Sleeping under a mosquito netting every night is so NOT romantic!

I'm loving Banana Madness smoothies.
I love meeting new people almost every day.
I'm getting free physio therapy from a new friend who's a physical therapist.
The rains have brought flowers everywhere out, and everything is green!
I love that I'm in capris and a tank with a light weight sweater on... and everyone at home is either in snow or sweaters, or both.
I love my new basket. Handwoven.
Hot Husbands schedule is proving better here then NYC. :) YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment